Copper Valley Telecom Cooperative is recruiting for a Plant Superintendent to join our team. The Glennallen Plant Superintendent provides supervisory abilities necessary to ensure efficient and continuous operation of all of the various types of telephone plant utilized by CVTC & the Copper Valley family of companies to provide communication services to its members. This is a first line management level position and a combination of craft experience and management experience is preferred.
Glennallen, Alaska, is a paradise for the outdoors enthusiast! Wildlife, hiking, hunting, fishing Copper River Salmon, snow sports, boating, kayak and everything in between. All surrounded by breathtaking views of the Wrangell Mountains, Wrangell-Saint Elias National Park & Preserve, and within 100 miles of Valdez and the beautiful Prince William Sound.
General Qualifications (not a full listing of all duties associated with this position)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Working knowledge of RUS specifications, NEC and NESC codes
- Working knowledge of OSHA and AOSHA Safety regulations and work rules
- Demonstrated knowledge of the switching, transmission, distribution and CPE facilities utilized by CVTC in the provision of its services within the designated service area
- Working knowledge of equipment used by CVTC in the construction and maintenance of telephone plant
- Working knowledge of applicable Federal and State laws and codes, and industry practices, relative to the safe operation of all activities involved in telephone operations
- Ability to mentor employees under his/her charge and build an effective work team
- Ability to interact successfully with members of the cooperative and the public, utility consultants, contractors and suppliers, and CVTC staff and employees
- Exemplary demeanor and work ethics consistent with a first line management level position
- Working knowledge of the operation of personal computers and associated peripheral hardware, software and operating systems
- Ability to accomplish on-site review of CVTC facilities or proposed facilities in areas necessitating travel by foot, all-terrain vehicles, pick-up trucks, boats, and single engine aircraft, in varying and often extreme climactic conditions
Education and Experience Qualifications
- High school diploma, or equivalent
- Minimum of five years progressive experience in telephone plant operations including inside and outside facilities
- Minimum of seven years' experience in the telecommunications industry
- Two years in a supervisory capacity
An equivalent combination of college study and experience may also be accepted.
Copper Valley Telecom offers competitive salaries and an outstanding benefit package. CVT is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to CVT, Attention: Rebecca Smith, at P.O. Box 337, Valdez, AK 99686 or submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is based in Glennallen, Alaska, and is open until filled.
Copper Valley Telecom is a progressive communications company offering a variety of services in the Prince
William Sound & Copper River Basin regions of Alaska. We are currently seeking a Network Engineer to join our team.
The Network Engineer is responsible for:
- Performing tasks associated with the engineering of Central Office equipment and systems, including switching,
transmission, access, and IP network equipment and systems, as well as all other necessary equipment to support
the reliable delivery of voice, video, data, and wireless communication services.
- Maintaining current knowledge of new technologies and systems as they are developed and making recommendations
to supervisory personnel regarding new and improved practices and technology.
- Preparing specifications for acquisition, installation, and testing of new equipment, related software, and
- Engineering and preparing work order documentation for completion of projects associated with areas of
responsibility; preparing material requisitions.
- Performing network assessments and assisting in short term and long range planning for budget purposes.
- Reviewing network traffic, usage, and capacity data to assess needs for new equipment or upgrades on a
routine basis and makes recommendations for projects.
- Performing engineering activities associated with:
- The provisioning of digital and IP switching systems and equipment in accordance with NEC and other
- IP Network and Internet systems, equipment and facilities, including LAN/WAN systems, hubs, routers,
servers, cabling, software, and switches.
- Backbone and end user provisioning of broadband internet services.
General Qualifications and Industry Knowledge:
- Basic electricity and analog and digital telecommunications technology
- Modern network and central office testing equipment and methods
- Equipment protection and grounding practices, transmission systems, and subscriber and trunk carrier systems
- Digital and Internet Protocol switching technology
- Communications and data circuit design and engineering principals
- Industry standards for both copper and fiber communications, wiring, cross-connecting, and testing practices
- NEC standards, (x)DSL technology and services, FTTP access technologies (including PON and Active Ethernet), and TCP/IP design protocols
- LAN and WAN design technology, configuration, architectures, cablings, software, and hardware, including hubs, routers, servers, switches and associated equipment
- RUS and Telcordia standards for communications systems engineering
- Central Office systems, including, but not limited to:
- Fiber optic systems: Passive Optical Network (PON) and Active Ethernet, SONET, DWDM
- Copper systems: DSLAM's, PCM carrier, T1/T3, Ethernet
- IP network equipment and systems to include routers, switches, and firewalls
- Knowledge of various manufacturers equipment including, but not limited to:
- ADTRAN Total Access, Netvanta and OPTI
- Fujitsu DWDM 9500 and 4100ES
- OCCAM B Series
- Turin Traverse
- CISCO Switches
- Metaswitch Soft switch and SBC
- ALPHA, Cordex, and Argus Power Systems
- MAPCOM M4
Additional Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Four years progressive experience in telephony technologies
- Excellent communications skills
An equivalent combination of college study and experience may also be accepted. Copper Valley Telecom offers
competitive salaries and outstanding benefit packages. CVT is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or national origin.
A full job description may be received by contacting Rebecca Smith at the email address below. To apply send
resume and cover letter to CVT, Attention: Rebecca Smith, at P.O. Box 337, Valdez, AK 99686 or submit via email
to email@example.com. This position is based in Valdez, AK and we will be
accepting applications until Tuesday, May 31st.